Thursday, June 14, 2012

Antietam National Battlefield

Antietam National Battlefield
In April, I took the kids on a trek to the Antietam National Battlefield, which is located in Sharpsburg, MD approximately 2 1/2 hours North West of Washington DC.   I wouldn't call myself a Civil War buff, but this period in history generally interests me. I have never visited a battlefield so I didn't know what to expect.  The battlefield is well maintained by the National Park Service with a family pass costing $6.00 (for three days).  The battlefield tour is about eight and half miles long, a challenge to walk. But the tour is well marked and there is plenty of parking, so I'd recommend driving the tour. The guest center has a handy dandy map that shows you how to get around the battlefield.



The countryside is picturesque, dotted with little farms and pastures. I'm fairly certain the battlefield looks like it did that day.  Hard to believe it was the scene of unspeakable carnage.



On 17 September 1862, over 20,000 men were killed, injured or missing in the bloodiest one day battle in American history. The Antietam National Battlefield  plans to observe the 150th Anniversary of the battle on  September 15-17, 2012.
Bloody Lane, as viewed from Observation Tower
Once a farmer's lane to get from one field to the other, the lane was renamed, "Bloody Lane" because of the number of bodies covering it once the battle was over.




The battlefield is very kid and stroller friendly.  Great place for kids and adults to stretch their legs and enjoy the outdoors.  Katie loved running all over the place and I didn't have to worry about losing her because there was so much open space! The freedom felt wonderful.


Antietam National Cemetary

Plenty of Civil War memorabilia. Everywhere I turned there was a cannon!
Burnside Bridge

Walking from the parking lot to the bridge is a bit of a down hill walk. It's getting back up the hill that gets ya!  Make sure you have good walking shoes and someone to help push the stroller!

Bloody Lane, from a land lubbers view
While Katie climbed the 59 steps up the observation tower for aeral photo-ops, Zoie and I sat on a bench talking to one of the locals.  I love it when I find someone with a deep connection to the history.  Descendants from the war still live in the surrounding community.  Since I come from a military family, I find it amazing when people have such deep roots. He recommended hitting the Gettysburg National Battlefield, so I think that will be in our family bucket list!  However, his best recommendation by far was a little ice cream shoppe in Sharpsburg.  He told me the ice cream was a little pricey but well worth it.



Nutter's Ice Cream Shop


The Nutter's Ice Cream parlour is located in downtown Sharpsburg which is this cute little town, reminding me a little of Mayberry RFD.  The local Boy Scouts were selling flowers on one corner and little shops and businesses lined the streets. It was very quaint.  As with most small towns, parking was a bit of challenge, but the promise of "the very best" ice cream kept us magnetized.  Katie and I both ordered two scoops of ice cream.  I was quite surprised when the total cost came out to be $3.50. I had to be sure she counted both orders.  I'm not sure what the gentleman meant by "pricey", but we (Zoie included) enjoyed every bite!



Antietam National Battlefield is located at:
5831 Dunker Church Road

Sharpsburg, MD 21782
http://www.nps.gov/anti/index.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment